Monday, March 17, 2008

Time for a change

I don't know about you, but every year right around this time I start itching for a change in my house.  This year, probably due to recent events, that feeling of restlessness is even more prominent.  On Saturday, Justin was gone and I spent the entire day at home... and for several hours as I cleaned, I thought of spring, and of what can be done in the house to reflect the freshness of this new season (even though it's not quite here yet... and sadly, probably won't be for awhile).

This is our third year here, and for the past two I've wanted to switch out the pillow covers, rugs, and even curtains in the living room for the spring and summer.  I love everything we have already, and I love how the warm colors and fabrics keep me cozy all winter, but come March and without fail it starts to feel a little... well, heavy, I suppose.  

Case in point:

We got this canvas about a year ago after a VERY long search, and I love it.  It was pretty expensive, so I don't want to just swap it out for something else... but it has a decidedly late summer/fall feel and also limits decorating options.  All the bedrooms and the bathroom incorporate a pale, smoky blue, which over the years has become my favorite color in the house--very soothing--but I can't work it into the living room/dining room/kitchen because of this print!  That probably wasn't very smart.  Here you can even see the Charleston lantern photo, a little attempt to pull in the blue... notice that it completely clashes!

The pillows and curtains...


And the rugs:

And another view...


Soo... what should I do?  I'm longing for the light, airy feel of a new season.  I think if I focus on a grass green with some bold prints, I can get away with leaving the canvas.  Maybe put up some sheer white panels and cover the pillows with solid green and green and white prints? I've never been a huge grass green fan, but right now I'm so stifled by the endless winter that I can't stop dreaming of warm summer nights and all the colors and breezes that come along with them.  Justin just rolls his eyes at me, but this year I'm doing it... it's time for a change. Ideas, anyone?

4 comments:

StephandJason said...

Casey, I noticed that you have had this post up for 4 days and have 0 comments...I think that might be b/c you have such a cute living room and no one has any tips for you how to change it. Don't worry though, I've been racking my brain and I'll help you with it if you want, although we have way different taste so you might not want my help!! :) It's available if you want it though. Love you!

Tamara said...

I'll help you with anything but I agree with Steph - it's already so cute!
FYI - I would have never thought in a million years that the little bit of blue in that picture clashes with anything. You are so funny - my little graphic designer.

akoral said...

I need help sprucing my place up too- My house has a winter/fall decor year round and I always want to do something new but can't justify spending the money. Pillows are a good homeade cheap option that I need to look into. I'm anxious to see what you do and how it affects the overall 'feel' of the room. I love you for blogging about this stuff.

Lindsay said...

I think it looks great. Both of our living spaces have fall colors - red and burnt orange - and I've never changed it out. I bet new pillows would do the trick since your furniture is neutral.