Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Opening Day

...in more ways than one.  First, yesterday was actually Opening Day, of course... a day Justin recently told me he gets more excited about than Christmas.  He is so funny when he talks about the Tigers.  I think the loves in his life go in this order... God, me, baseball, everything else. But during baseball season, that list might change order a little bit... although I think God always remains at the top.  You can guess how the others are rearranged. :)  Anyway, he had a lot of fun, and even though the season is now off to 0-2, Team Remsing is still preparing for a World Series title come fall.


This is a picture from last year, because this year I forgot to take one before he left.  Taking "opening day pictures" makes me feel nostalgic about the first day of school, when every year my mom took pictures of us in our new dresses my grandma would make. Seriously, that really happened.

Bringing up my grandma and the dress-making is a good transition into the second meaning of opening day... Opening Day of Spring in the Remsing house.  My grandma was a fabulous seamstress and taught me how to sew by making babydoll outfits, handkerchiefs, and clothing over the years.  These days I'm more interested in making things for my house, specifically curtains and pillows, and I've been sewing like crazy for the past week.  The quest for the light, airy feel of spring is now accomplished:



I didn't make the curtains (but on that note, only $9.99 at Ikea for the pair... can't beat that!), but the pillow covers were a feat.  The work was worth it, because I love them, and shocker... Justin loves them too. :) He keeps saying, "wow, it really is different in here," followed by, "I can't believe you actually made these."  It's not exactly "I love them" outright, but the sentiment is definitely there.

I also got springy new rugs:


And put this fabric down, covered by plexiglass, in the tray.  I really love this idea because it can be changed all the time at almost no cost!


Anyway, that's about it for now.  Today is a beautiful day, and with the sunlight streaming through those sheer linen curtains, it feels a lot like spring.  It's a little deceptive, actually... I don't think 45 degrees is quite warm enough to take a book out to the hammock, but now my house is tricking me into thinking it's time. :)

5 comments:

Kara Graves said...

you did such a great job! It looks beautiful...straight out of a magazine!

Team Graves is in for the World Series as well!

Burcham Family said...

Your living room looks great!

Anonymous said...

Casey-
You are such a talented designer! Your grandma would be so proud of those pillows! (:
I love your spring/summer living room!!!!! Ever interviewed for Pottery Barn?

Anonymous said...

I love it!

-Kelly Bennett

Chris and Andrea Moyer said...

Casey I love it. The transition is inspiring! It definately shouts Spring. I need you to come and do a makeover in my living room too!