Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Garden growing

We're finally reaping some sort of a "harvest" in the garden! The plants are actually a little bit out of control... I think next year we may have to 1) bump out that box another foot, and 2) plant fewer things. :) First, a shot of just half the plants--from left to right, squash, pea pods, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and corn!


Our first squash... we ate it for dinner last night.


Green beans... we need to stop eating these off the vine or there won't ever be any to bring inside and cook. I think we both prefer them raw anyway. They are soooo good.


Corn... I didn't realize corn grew like this. The plants are only about 4' tall, so I'm anxious to see whether this actually becomes real corn on the cob.


And finally, the crown glory of the garden... our first little teeny tomatoes. I literally cannot wait for these to ripen. It makes me think of the summer I lived with Gayle Flanigan and Her Fabulous Garden--often she would go out of town and tell me to help myself to anything growing. You should know that Gayle is a wonderful, diligent gardener and had more vegetables than I can ever hope to grow... but anyway, I'm telling you, I would pack quart-sized ziploc baggies with cherry tomatoes, take them to work, and eat them until my mouth burned from the acid. Who does that? And why do I tell these stories online? I sound insane. Either way, I can't wait to do the same thing here... fingers are still crossed that we'll get more than just these four.


Anyway, that's about it for us... Justin's been in the middle of an Extreme Makeover: Garage Edition, so once that's finished I'll post some pictures. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Casey

Glad you stopped by the blog. Time sure has flown since the youth ministers Christmas party, hasn't it?! Looks like you and Justin are having a good summer, your vegetable garden looks great by the way! Take care and enjoy those yummy tomatoes!

Leslie